Saturday, March 31

one sunday

The sun's rays on my face, illuminating every single living creature and houses made of stones, light being reflected on every roof of our neighborhood. It's nice that I get to be on top of our continuously constructed house, very rare do I get to see the sun rise like this. 

Our house faces the east, thus the first rays of the sun get to touch the front exterior of our home, it's a must I guess for my mom whom has high regards for feng-shui(although we aren't even chinese). She says that our front/main door must always face where the sun rises.

We've got a pretty nice neighborhood-blocks of houses, lined in a row, plants and trees everywhere. Our house for instance has got potted plants I couldn't even recognize all of them-in front are guyabano trees, fruits hanging from the avocado tree, guava, caimito, a row of sampaguitas, and I guess langka as well, I'm not sure which is which since the fruits are still very small to distinguish from one another. And that's just a quarter of them, there's more on the side and on the back of our house.

People can be seen everywhere as early as 6 in the morning. There are those who bring their babies out for a little vitamin e, tricycles sending families from the church, men/women sweeping dried leaves and burning them, taho and pandesal vendors shouting their hearts out to reach sleeping customers, dogs running and barking all over the streets- a very common scenario of a typical Pinoy neighborhood.

Now I can see people walking by, carrying their palapaspas-a symbol used by Catholics to celebrate Palm Sunday. I remember now, today is Palm Sunday,the day which marks the start of Holy Week for Catholics. The palaspas are usually made out of palm leaves decorated in various simple or artistic ways. Now palaspas vendors can surely be seen even blocks away from the church. I remember bringing palaspas to church when we were a little younger. People wave their palaspas as the priest enters the church and march towards the altar, then we'll have it blessed by the priest, brought home and hung on doors or windows(in our family's case). I'm not really sure why is this such but they say it is believed to ward off evil (from old Catholic customs)

We were supposed to attend mass today but both mama and Leinna are still sleeping, maybe in a little while they'll be up. Now the sun's fully risen and my forehead hurts from the heat, I've got enough dose of my vitamin E so I better go in now, ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment